Monday 7 July 2014

Erythema Nodosum, aka lumpy shins/calves

I thought I would write a quick blurb on one of the more rare symptoms I have called erythema nodosum.  The way I describe it is like hard, bruise-like lumps under my shins and calves.  A lot of ankle and foot swelling usually comes along with it too. It is very rare, here is a more formal description:

"Erythema nodosum, a painful disorder of the subcutaneous fat, is the most common type of panniculitis. Generally, it is idiopathic, although the most common identifiable cause is streptococcal pharyngitis. Erythema nodosum may be the first sign of a systemic disease such as tuberculosis, bacterial or deep fungal infection, sarcoidosis, inflammatory bowel disease, or cancer."

"In addition to infectious colitis, other gastrointestinal diseases, such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, are associated with erythema nodosum. Erythema nodosum with abdominal pain and diarrhea may reflect acute flare-ups. Firm control of colitis may prevent further erythema nodosum; suppression of erythema nodosum in the patient may be considered an indicator for disease management.22 As many as 50 percent of patients with Behçet's syndrome have associated erythema nodosum.4 The biopsy-proven coexistence of Sweet's syndrome and erythema nodosum has been documented.23" 

(http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0301/p695.html)

It's mostly frustrating because I would like to move around a lot more!  Ice and elevation helps the swelling but not the pain.  Its just a matter of systemic inflammation that will calm down as my whole disease calms down.

Just thought I would share this because its another manifestation of this disease that people don't see, yet can be very debilitating.  Its not just a gut disease people!!!

As for how I'm feeling today, definitely still low energy, but I'm not feeling quite as depressed as usual.  I'm still just lying around on the computer, but my mood is improving.  Definitely having a better day overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment